.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

prov·o·ca·tion - something that provokes, arouses, or stimulates. pant - to long eagerly; yearn. a collection of thoughts intended to provoke and inspire. these posts are hoping to encourage people to think, especially Christians, and pant even harder for the waterbrooks of the Lord. If you are not a believer in Christ Jesus, I welcome your perspective and encourage your investigation on these matters.

Friday, February 03, 2006

50 (Or So) Great Christian Books

In the spirit of the great men who have shared their ideas about reading on the Together for the Gospel Blog, I thought I’d post some of my favorite Christian books in some form of order.  Below are a few notes to consider when viewing my list.  


50 (Or So) Great Christian Books

  1. Desiring God/The Pleasures of God/Future Grace (Trilogy) – John Piper

  2. Institutes of the Christian Religion – John Calvin

  3. Knowing God – J.I. Packer

  4. A Body of Divinity – Thomas Watson

  5. The End for Which God Created the World – Jonathan Edwards

  6. The Death of Death in the Death of Christ – John Owen

  7. The Reformed Pastor – Richard Baxter

  8. Mere Christianity – C.S. Lewis

  9. The Valley of Vision – Arthur Bennett

  10. Pilgrim’s Progress – John Bunyan

  11. The Bondage of the Will – Martin Luther

  12. Confessions – Augustine

  13. The Life of God in the Soul of Man – Henry Scougal

  14. The Life and Diary of David Brainerd – Jonathan Edwards

  15. John G. Paton: Missionary to the New Hebrides (Autobiography)

  16. On the Incarnation of the Word – Athanasius

  17. The Freedom of the Will – Jonathan Edwards

  18. Practical Religion – J.C. Ryle

  19. Let the Nations Be Glad – John Piper

  20. Lectures to My Students – Charles Spurgeon

  21. The Reign of Grace – Abraham Booth

  22. The Pursuit of God – A.W. Tozer

  23. Abstract of Systematic Theology – James P. Boyce

  24. On the Predestination of the Saints – Augustine

  25. A Sure Guide to Heaven – Joseph Alleine

  26. The Autobiography of George Mueller

  27. Holiness – J.C. Ryle

  28. Of the Imitation of Christ – Thomas a Kempis

  29. Redemption Accomplished & Applied – John Murray

  30. The Cross of Christ – John Stott

  31. Precious Remedies Against Satan’s Devices – Thomas Brooks

  32. Hudson Taylor’s Spiritual Secret – Hudson Taylor

  33. George Whitefield (2 Vol.) – Arnold Dallimore

  34. Cost of Discipleship – Dietrich Bonhoeffer

  35. The Existence and Attributes of God – Stephen Charnock

  36. The Journals of Jim Elliot – Elizabeth Elliot

  37. No Place for Truth/God in the Wastelands (both)  – David Wells

  38. The Person of Christ – Donald McLeod

  39. Divine Solitude Improved by Divine Meditation – Nathaniel Ranew

  40. The Soul Winner – Charles Spurgeon

  41. A Vision for Missions – Tom Wells

  42. Spiritual Disciplines for the Christian Life – Donald Whitney

  43. Gospel Conversation – Jeremiah Burroughs

  44. God’s Greater Glory – Bruce Ware

  45. Spiritual Leadership – J. Oswald Sanders

  46. The Gagging of God – D.A. Carson

  47. The Scandal of the Evangelical Mind – Mark Noll

  48. Revival – Martyn Lloyd-Jones

  49. Evangelism and the Sovereignty of God – J.I. Packer

  50. Robert Murray M’Cheyne – Andrew Bonar

  51. The Disciplines of Grace – Jerry Bridges


Note 1:  I readily admit that I am as not as well read as I should be.  These books are the ones I have become acquainted with, have benefited from, and has changed my life and way of thinking/believing/living.  As I continue to read, I am quite sure there will be other books which will stir my heart and chart a better trajectory to the truth and the glory of God.  So this list is not static but dynamic and is intended to share with you some books that have greatly impacted my life.

Note 2:  Consequently, one will find that I am greatly influenced by such books and authors.  While I like to read broadly, if one were to consider who I am by what I read, I am Reformed, then Puritan, and finally Edwardsian.  

Note 3:  As you will also see, there are relatively few contemporary books on the list, and for good reason.  These books have not only impacted my life but have impacted the lives of men and women who have changed the world for the glory of God.  While contemporary authors have good things to say, they have not withstood the crucible of historical acclaim and critique and transcended the trendiness and novelty of our times.  I spend little time with such books.  As a result, please do not ask me why books by the likes of Rick Warren, Bruce Wilkerson, Brian McLaren, or Joel Osteen (and the like) are not on the list.  They are on a list I guess you could say, but it is definitely not this one.  



Let me know what you think.  Have any of these books influenced you in any way?  Love to hear your list or maybe your top ten.  Come on you bibliophiles, P&P wants to hear from you!

3 Comments:

Blogger Ron Henzel said...

"...please do not ask me why books by the likes of Rick Warren, Bruce Wilkerson, Brian McLaren, or Joel Osteen (and the like) are not on the list. They are on a list I guess you could say, but it is definitely not this one." No explanation is necessary. Including such authors with those other 50 books would be like slapping ketchup on a Chateaubriand with béarnaise sauce.

2/03/2006 09:31:00 AM

 
Blogger Steve Weaver said...

Good list! I did a post on the ten most influential books in my life and ministry (so far) a while back. You can see my list by clicking the above link.

2/05/2006 07:05:00 AM

 
Blogger Nathan White said...

Excellent list Timmy, now I see why we have a lot in common! There is one glaring absence though: Ashamed of the Gospel.

SDG

2/07/2006 10:47:00 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
Counter
Site Counters as of May 4, 2005