.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

prov·o·ca·tion - something that provokes, arouses, or stimulates. pant - to long eagerly; yearn. a collection of thoughts intended to provoke and inspire. these posts are hoping to encourage people to think, especially Christians, and pant even harder for the waterbrooks of the Lord. If you are not a believer in Christ Jesus, I welcome your perspective and encourage your investigation on these matters.

Friday, February 10, 2006

Longings After God

With continuing thought on passion and zeal (pantings), let me call your attention to another excellent prayer and meditation from The Valley of Vision.  It is called “Longings After God.”  Enjoy.


My Dear LORD,

I can but tell thee that thou knowest
I long for nothing but thyself,
            nothing but holiness,
            nohing but union with thy will.
Thou hast given me these desires,
      and thou alone canst give me the thing desired.
My soul longs for communion with thee,
      for mortification of indwelling corruption,
      specially spiritual pride.
How precious it is
      to have a tender sense and clear apprehension
            of the mystery of godliness,
            of true holiness!
What a blessedness to be like thee
      as much as it is possible for a creature
            to be like its Creator!

Lord, give me more of thy likeness;
Enlarge my soul to contain fullness of holiness;
Engage me to live more for thee.
Help me to be less pleased with my spiritual
            experiences,
      and when I feel at ease after sweet communings,
      teach me it is far too little I know and I do.

Blessed Lord,
      let me climb up near to thee,
      and love, and long, and plead, and wrestle
            With thee,
      and pant for deliverance from the body of sin,
      for my heart is wandering and lifeless,
      and my soul mourns to think it should ever
            lose sight of its Beloved.
Wrap my life in divine love,
      and keep me ever desiring thee,
      always humble and resigned to thy will,
      more fixed on thyself,
      that I may be more fitted for doing
            and for suffering.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
Counter
Site Counters as of May 4, 2005