.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

prov·o·ca·tion - something that provokes, arouses, or stimulates. pant - to long eagerly; yearn. a collection of thoughts intended to provoke and inspire. these posts are hoping to encourage people to think, especially Christians, and pant even harder for the waterbrooks of the Lord. If you are not a believer in Christ Jesus, I welcome your perspective and encourage your investigation on these matters.

Sunday, May 21, 2006

Quick Hits :: May 21, 2006

* Frank Page, pastor of First Baptist Church in Taylors, SC has announced that he has accepted the nomination for president of the SBC. Info about Page can be found here. Wes Kenney also provided a chart for the church's giving to the CP. While there are some questions about his views on Calvinism, he seems to be getting some support (including Wade Burleson). Also, Tad Thompson has posed similar questions to Page as he did with Dr. Floyd (which he did not answer). * Slice of Laodicea writes about the new idea of "Godcasting" and virtual sermons. As I have mentioned in the past, I am no fan of the multi-site campus church even though it appears to be the lastest move of the church growth movement. As one has asked, "I wonder if a video church meets the requirement of a New Testament Church?" * Tim Challies recently reviewed Mark Driscol's latest book Confessions of a Reformission Rev. and has sparked a lengthly discussion (160+ comments). The iMonk also recently reviewed this book as well (however his "truly reformed" addage is really annoying). * Joe Thorn has been interacting with Dr. Russell Mooore's article on Pop Culture found in SBTS' recently released magazine. Steve McCoy points out that Moore mis-stated Ed Stetzer and makes a correction. * Mark Lauterbach wrote a helpful piece on Humility and Blog Slander. I think Mark's pastoral words are timely and should be welcomed by all bloggers. * Alex Forrest shares his frustration over Pat Robertson's latest prediction. It looks like Robertson is God's divine weather forecaster. * Daniel Randle recently had a lengthy exchange on the issue of homosexuality and the American Baptist Association's recent split. He has added additional thoughts here and here. * Gene Edward Veith shares about the situation at Patrick Henry College and why he is leaving WORLD Magazine. * Tom Ascol has reported on two of the most ridiculous forms of trying to be relevant with the gospel. I guess you can call this hyper-contextualization. The first has to do with NASCAR and the other with wrestling. Does these two have anything in common? * Marty Duren posts the Memphis Declaration which was drafted by 30 people earlier this month. I think some important things were said and encourage you to read it. * Mark Devine, new on the blogosphere, has written on Emergent's Anti-Doctrinal doctrinal statement. Funny yet true. The blogosphere is abuzzin' of late, and I will try to keep you up on some of the pertinent matters through frequenting "Quick Hits." Have a great week!

5 Comments:

Blogger D.R. said...

Tim, thanks for the link. And I wanted to let you know that your first link on Gene Veith and the situation at PHC actually goes to my post as well.

5/21/2006 04:21:00 PM

 
Blogger Timmy Brister said...

Sorry about that Daniel! I will make the correction.

5/21/2006 04:54:00 PM

 
Blogger Alex F said...

Page is supposedly a great guy, but is certainly no Calvinist. When he first came to Taylors (suburb of Greenville SC) his first Sunday night sermon series was "The Trouble with TULIP" or something like that - I believe he wrote a little booklet on the subject, actually.

That doesn't disqualify him, of course. As I said, I heard he's a great guy.

5/21/2006 09:10:00 PM

 
Blogger Stephen Newell said...

I'm just dumbfounded at Page's comments. I'd say more, but I'm not gonna hijack your blog, bro. I gave this a treatment over at the Holocron.

And remember, I'm writing that post as a person who isn't a full Calvinist.

5/21/2006 10:05:00 PM

 
Blogger Timmy Brister said...

Yeah, I am aware of the book(let) that Page wrote called "The Trouble With Tulips." I tried to obtain a copy of it, but it is out of print. I don't think many copies were published. I did, however, find a guy who posted some quotes from his book which were very alarming.

Since that time, Page is said to have mollified his position on Calvinism, and let's hope he has. If he hasn't, then he could prove to be just as divisive as Johnny Hunt and Ergun Caner. I think he is supposed to come out with a statement on his position in the near future. I'll be looking out for it.

5/22/2006 10:00:00 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
Counter
Site Counters as of May 4, 2005