.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

prov·o·ca·tion - something that provokes, arouses, or stimulates. pant - to long eagerly; yearn. a collection of thoughts intended to provoke and inspire. these posts are hoping to encourage people to think, especially Christians, and pant even harder for the waterbrooks of the Lord. If you are not a believer in Christ Jesus, I welcome your perspective and encourage your investigation on these matters.

Thursday, May 11, 2006

After Second Thought . . .

Tuesday I wrote about all the drama which has been taking place over the presidential nominee for the Southern Baptist Convention and included an update which mentioned that Tad Thompson was going to interview the new nominee Dr. Ronnie Floyd. Great questions were submitted, and Tad (IMHO) did a great job and handling the whole deal. Unfortunately, Dr. Floyd has turned down the interview because he feels that it is a no win situation for him to communicate on the controversial issues in a blog envirmonment. While the blog environment can be tought at times, I think Dr. Floyd would be familiar with bloggers since he is one. Ironically, I commented over on Tom Ascol's blog the other day about this and said the following:

My thoughts are that it is their way to maintain the conservative resurgence without any real threat or opposition. I think the issue with bloggers is that information is being provided outside authorized mediums and news outlets. Blogging is the democratic voice which can be either heard or ignored. People might easily think that those who commented about Johnny Hunt running for president and the recent issue with Ronnie Floyd are just trying to pick out people's faults and criticize simply because they can. I tend to think differently--that those expressing their thoughts genuinely want to be involved in the process for the greater good of the convention . . . a process as you mentioned which is seriously flawed. Granted, there are some comments which are unnecessary and not helpful for the discussion, but overall I see something happening when a bunch of "little men" with little influence come together and share a big concern and desire for SBC churches and their future. People can perceive what is happening any number of ways, but I hope those in leadership in the SBC sense that bloggers are not "doing the work of the devil" but seeking to be involved in their own way in the convention which they are committed to.
And on my blog I happened to make these hopeful statements:
I did find it interesting that he had a blog and that he was interested in connecting with the younger crop of SBCers. I wouldn't call myself a part of the young SBC leadership because I don't consider myself a leader nor do I know what qualifies for being young. Regardless, I think Dr. Floyd could make a very bold and courageous move if he would engage and interact with those of us blogging and are in the SBC (which is a large group of folks) and find ways to see genuine reform and change take place in the SBC. That may sound a bit too optimistic, but hey, the blogosphere needs a good dose of optimism these days!
I guess I was a bit too optimistic. Oh well. You know, years ago the SBC elites had little to worry about when it came to nominations. It was just keeping CBF folks out of leadership. But recently, especially in the past year or two, blogging has entered the scene and became the monkey wrench in the SBC machine. When underhanded tactics or questionable matters surface, you can be sure that someone out there will write about it. I just wish the leaders of the SBC would realize the opportunity that is before them to reach a segment of its consituents that really care about what is going on. The IMB knows about the influence bloggers have, and I guess it has now reached the executive office. ****************************** Read Tad Thompson's latest posts: Why Won't Dr. Ronnie Floyd Answer a Few Simple Questions Why Don't We Answer for Him? Email from Dr. Ronnie Floyd Dr. Ronnie Floyd Gives Some Insight on Wisdom Ronnie Floyd and the Cooperative Program * Florida Baptist Witness Article on Floyd and CP * Dr. Ronnie Floyd's blogpost on wisdom * Wes Kennedy's Chart of FBC Springdale's CP Giving

4 Comments:

Blogger Mike Hess said...

Timmy,

I'm still in the process of learning many of these SBC guys but this has been interesting to watch play out. I had no idea as of about two years ago the division in the SBC between the Calvinists and the Semi-Pelagian/Arminains. I heard Ronnie Floyd last year at the Pastor's Conference at FBC Jax. To be honest with you, I thought that he had somewhat of a charasmatic flair to him.

I was also surprised to read on the Calvinist Flyswater blog the ridiculous comments they made about SBTS graduates only being able to blog. It's funny, those of us who are reformed in our theology seem to be the most aggresive in our evangelism as well. Also, if Dr. Mohler is to blame for having fewer unregenrate baptisms...then so be it! That has been something that has plagued evangelicalism for a long time now. Good post Timmy.

Mike Hess

5/11/2006 08:03:00 PM

 
Blogger Timmy Brister said...

Mike,

Great to hear from you! Really enjoying the new blog (sorry I haven't commented yet).

I really do not know Floyd's theology. I do know he mentions a lot about "the favor of God" (last Fall he preached a sermon on this at chapel here at SBTS). At this point concerning the presidency, I am not that concerned with Floyd. From what I have heard from those who know him, they have all had great things to say about him. I plead ignorance as far as that goes. But what I do know about the CP and certain practices of the church do cause me concern.

Concerning the Flyswatter, I realized how Charles operates. He slanders a person and baits them with his blog. Anyone who goes in to comment, they respond with five comments. It is, as Dr. Moore called it, a "tar baby." And I agree. I commented once, and that was over an anonymous "SBTS student" who sought to speak about some profs I know. If you look at the 107 comments on the post you are referring to, you will find that 3/4 are from Bob Ross. When people realize that they are begging for someone to comment, Bob and Charles will get tired of talking to themselves and Flyswatter will be exterminated. I would ignore them and what they say as they are evidence of everything that is wrong about the blogosphere.

5/11/2006 08:16:00 PM

 
Blogger Mike Hess said...

Good points Timmy. The Flyswater is a great example of having a wrong soteriology.

Mike

5/12/2006 08:25:00 PM

 
Blogger D.R. said...

Tim,

I agree that blogging does constitute a democratic voice and I think the blogosphere (at least the Christian community) can at its best serve to hold people accountable for their actions. Probably all the IMB trustees cheered when Dan Rather and CBC were exposed as having aired fradulent information, but likely they didn't care much when the blogosphere turned on them and began to expose some problems in the IMB. The blogosphere is no respecter of persons and much light can be shed on those things that are typically concealed in darkness, as long as abuses don't occur and blogs of the NON-Calvinist-Can't-Swat-Fly-Much-Less-A-Biblical-Theology-type don't become the norm.

Accountability is difficult for everyone, but we should all submit to it. It makes us all more Christlike.

5/14/2006 10:43:00 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
Counter
Site Counters as of May 4, 2005