.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

prov·o·ca·tion - something that provokes, arouses, or stimulates. pant - to long eagerly; yearn. a collection of thoughts intended to provoke and inspire. these posts are hoping to encourage people to think, especially Christians, and pant even harder for the waterbrooks of the Lord. If you are not a believer in Christ Jesus, I welcome your perspective and encourage your investigation on these matters.

Thursday, September 07, 2006

Why Memorize Scripture?

As I have been thinking about biblical meditation (via Nathanael Ranew), it crucial to see its relationship to bible memorization. In his most recent “Taste and See” article, John Piper answers the question, “Why Memorize Scripture? Here are his six answers to this question:

  1. Conformity to Christ
  1. Daily Triumph over Sin
  1. Daily Triumph over Satan
  1. Comfort and Counsel for People You Love
  1. Communicating the Gospel to Unbelievers
  1. Communion with God in the Enjoyment of His Person and Ways

I think these are very good answers, but do you have any others you can think of? Or, what has God taught you through Scripture memory?

For those interested in a very good guide for Scripture memory, check out Dr. Andy Davis’ “An Approach to the Extended Memorization of Scripture” which can be found here. Also, if you would like to listen how Piper memorizes Scripture, go here.

2 Comments:

Blogger R. Mansfield said...

When i first started the started the doctoral program another student snickered when he saw me carrying around a topical memory system pack. He condescendingly said, "Yeah, I used to do that."

I felt his comment was not just smug, but smug in an anti-spiritual sense.

Can a person ever be so smart that hiding God's word in one's heart isn't important.

I don't think so.

The old evangelist Angel Martinez had the entire New Testament memorized before he died, along with large portions of the Old Testament. That's a goal worth of achieving.

9/08/2006 09:12:00 AM

 
Blogger Timmy Brister said...

Good thoughts, guys. I think about the verse, Prone to wonder, Lord I feel it, prone to leave the God I love - and I have found memorizing Scripture helping me to keep my thoughts God-centered and replacing what otherwise would undoubtedly be selfish and sinful thoughts. I must constantly have my mind renewed and my wicked heart washed in the cleansing power of God's Word.

I sometimes will look at all the different Bibles I have on my bookshelf and wonder if there will come a day where God's Word will be outlawed in our land. I am convinced that the best Bible is the one we have memorized, for it will never stay on the shelf.

9/08/2006 11:52:00 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
Counter
Site Counters as of May 4, 2005