.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

prov·o·ca·tion - something that provokes, arouses, or stimulates. pant - to long eagerly; yearn. a collection of thoughts intended to provoke and inspire. these posts are hoping to encourage people to think, especially Christians, and pant even harder for the waterbrooks of the Lord. If you are not a believer in Christ Jesus, I welcome your perspective and encourage your investigation on these matters.

Friday, July 29, 2005

Ah I Think I've Found My Next Bible . . .

As you can tell, I am in a much better mood than yesterday. I think I just needed some recovery time after wasting my time reading about BibleZines. Anyways. Ironically enough, I got a postcard in the mail from Ligonier Ministries (R.C. Sproul) about The Reformation Study Bible with the new English Standard Version (ESV) edition. Now here is a Bible for teenagers if you ask me, but then again, I am not as hip and with the times as those guys at Thomas Nelson. It is very clear that certain publishing companies are going one way (a la Thomas Nelson, InterVarsity, Zondervan) and only one seems to be putting out week in and week out quality works, and that is Crossway. Upon perusing the website made for the Reformation Study Bible, I have decided to make it my next study Bible. As Sproul puts it, "Turn to the Word that turned the world upside down." And so I will. Many of you know John Piper. Here's what he had to say about this Bible: "I would like every English-speaking Christian to own and use The Reformation Study Bible. First because it is a Bible, God's Word to mankind-and the English Standard Version is the translation I pray will become the church's standard for the next fifty years. Second, because it is a study Bible-and the God-centered scholars who wrote the notes are reverent and rigorously faithful to the facts of faith and history. Third, it is a reformation study Bible-and the whole counsel of God's sovereign grace is affirmed and illumined. Study notes are not infallible, only the Bible is. But I know of no study Bible that comes closer to the truth than this one." Dr. John Piper Preaching Pastor, Bethlehem Baptist Church, Minneapolis, Minnesota Personally, I don't like any Bible with study notes or commentary, because we seem to think that the commentators words are as authoritative as the text itself; also, many people cheat themselves out of being a good student of the Word by simply munching on other's crumbs rather than getting fresh manna themselves. But in this case I may make an exception. Martin Luther, John Calvin, Jonathan Edwards, Phillip Melancthon, and others I can read alongside. I mean, God used them to change the world, didn't He? Sure beats tips on changing make-up patterns.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
Counter
Site Counters as of May 4, 2005