.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

prov·o·ca·tion - something that provokes, arouses, or stimulates. pant - to long eagerly; yearn. a collection of thoughts intended to provoke and inspire. these posts are hoping to encourage people to think, especially Christians, and pant even harder for the waterbrooks of the Lord. If you are not a believer in Christ Jesus, I welcome your perspective and encourage your investigation on these matters.

Wednesday, September 14, 2005

Get Your Roll Off

I had intention of writing a particularly different post this morning, but I thought I'd share a frustration I have recently experienced with myself. While sitting next to the belt tonight and reading a book, I noticed somewhat of a discomfort with my stomach. I thought, "Was it the chicken fingers?" Then I realized that "This too came to pass." Check that off. Then I thought, "Well, I must be bloated since I have been drinking so much carbonated drinks" (I had been drinking a 1-liter Mountain Dew). Then I realized that it was not that either. Upon brief examination of myself, I realized what it was. Crunched over the evidence was obvious - it was a roll of fat! I was aghast in what was unbeknownst to me. It appears that I have been living in denial and negligence over the undisciplined disposition I have taken to my overall well-being. The procession of soft drinks, the hours sitting in a desk or behind the computer, the lethargic attitude towards exercise all began to stream across my mind. I am now over a quarter century old (perspective here), and I am not getting younger nor my metabolism getting faster. The years where I had the bird chest and rib counting contests are far gone. This provocation was like a lightning strike in the midnight hour for me. I must take care of this temple with all diligence and discipline lest I be disqualified. In one sense I am being silly of course; but in another sense, I am just shaking my head and thinking to myself, "Get off your lazy butt and start taking care of this body God has given you." I have one body, and if I am going to wear it out, I want to wear it out good. Thus, it needs to be in utmost condition. Therefore, I am endeavoring to do my exercise thing called "Get Your Roll Off." I figured it sounds better than "Body by Timmy" or "Buns of Steel." You know, one thing I have realized is that how one cares for oneself physically (in regards to discipline and discretion) often is a mirror of how one cares for oneself spiritually. One of the things about exercising is feeling the soreness which is getting my body out of its couch potato habit and comfort zone, and maybe this will produce the same effect for my spiritual life. Maybe I will give an update in the future as to the outcome of this provocation. One this is for sure: I don't want to be a poor example of discipline and dedication. And I don't want to be fat and have rolls! I konw this may sound trivial and superficial, but I think you will discover that behind and underneath this provocation is real justification for me to get off my butt and "Get Your Roll Off."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
Counter
Site Counters as of May 4, 2005