.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

prov·o·ca·tion - something that provokes, arouses, or stimulates. pant - to long eagerly; yearn. a collection of thoughts intended to provoke and inspire. these posts are hoping to encourage people to think, especially Christians, and pant even harder for the waterbrooks of the Lord. If you are not a believer in Christ Jesus, I welcome your perspective and encourage your investigation on these matters.

Wednesday, October 26, 2005

Awaken: The Awakened Sinner

Awaken is the category of posts which center on thoughts of salvation and regeneration. This prayer is taken from a collection Puritan prayers in a book called The Valley of Vision (highly recommended). It is almost always at my side in my personal devotion and study. (The emphasis is mine.) O My Forgetful Soul, Awake from thy wandering dream; turn from chasing vanities, look inward, forward, upward, view thyself, reflect upon thyself, who and what thou art, why here, what thou must soon be. Thou art a creature of God, formed and furnished by him, lodged in a body like a shepherd in his tent; Dost thou not desire to know God's ways? O God, Thou injured, neglected, provoked Benefactor when I think upon thy greatness and thy goodness I am ashamed at my insensibility, I blush to lift up my face, for I have foolishly erred. Shall I go on neglecting thee, when every one of they rational creatures should love thee, and take every care to please thee? I confess that thou hast not been in all my thoughts, that the knowledge of thyself as the end of my being has been strangely overlooked, that I have never seriously considered my heart-need. But although my mind is perplexed and divided, my nature perverse, yet my secret dispositions still desire thee. Let me not delay to come to thee; Break the fatal enchantments that binds my evil affections, and bring me to a happy mind that rests in thee, for thou has made me and canst not forget me. Let thy Spirit teach me the vital lessons of Christ, for I am slow to learn; And hear thou my broken cries.

1 Comments:

Blogger Lisa said...

The Valley of Vision is such a classic and a must read. It has got to be one of my favorite Puritanic devotional books. A couple semesters ago I had a professor who actually read excerpts V of V before every single lecture (though it actually had little to do with the course material) he valued it that much).

Great post.

10/27/2005 12:59:00 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
Counter
Site Counters as of May 4, 2005