.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

prov·o·ca·tion - something that provokes, arouses, or stimulates. pant - to long eagerly; yearn. a collection of thoughts intended to provoke and inspire. these posts are hoping to encourage people to think, especially Christians, and pant even harder for the waterbrooks of the Lord. If you are not a believer in Christ Jesus, I welcome your perspective and encourage your investigation on these matters.

Thursday, December 15, 2005

O Emergent, Who Art Thou?

Been reading around the blogosphere and familiarizing myself with the Emergent Movement, and I have come up with two preliminary conclusions: 1. Those who are Emergent don't want to be labeled as such. Labels are bad. They also make semantical distinctions between being "emergent" and "emerging." I am told that the EC is a very broad movement encompassing a plethora of positions. 2. While that is the case, those who are Emergent have shown themselves to be very predictable. Last Saturday, I began to spend a little time when I can to see what is being said. While it has been argued that they are not monolithic, I am not seeing evidence of that. It has been quite easy to know who they read, who the leading theologians are, what they are against, but little of what they are for. So, I am confused. O Emergent brother who art thou? I would like to understand who you are, but every attempt is being made to not clearly define who are. How can you defend who you are if you first don't define who you are? I really would like to be in the "conversation" but right now I spending a whole lot of time trying decode the "Emergent Code" and put the hints you are giving me together. I must admit, it has been fun to play the "Hide and Go Seek" game, but it would be nice to be able to have a conversation where I would not hear, "I know you are, but what am I?" (my favorite 1st grade phrase). Finally, I wonder what will emerge from the Emerging Church. For instance, I am wondering . . . Is there anyone who has emerged from the Emerging Church? Is there anyone who is post post-modern, post post evangelical, post post-liberal, post post-conservative, post post-foundational, post post-Christian? Any attempt for clarification, definition, or description would greatly be appreciated. Also, one consequence of not clearly defining who you are is the inevitability of having others define who you are (which will more than likely be inaccurate). So you would do yourselves and others a true service to present yourselves beyond the smoke-and-mirrors in the clear light of day.

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

How would you define the emrging movement?

12/15/2005 07:18:00 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, about the doctrine of reprobation. I do understand it, the same way I understand that there is a place called England. I've heard of it, I've researched it, and 've studied it long and hard. But, unlike England, I think of it more as a doctrine of a long, long time ago, somewhere far, far away. No offense, but that is what i have come to.

12/15/2005 09:53:00 PM

 
Blogger Timmy Brister said...

Mike,

I am working on defining the emerging movement. I am a newbie so I obviously have a lot of work to do. Your help (and anyone else for that matter) is truly appreciated. I ask this question because I am constantly hearing vague and conflicting definitions which give me more questions than I do answers. Hopefully, I can make headway in the days to come.

12/16/2005 05:19:00 AM

 
Blogger Timmy Brister said...

Concerning reprobation as a doctrine long, long ago, what do you mean? Do you think it is no longer taught or believed today? Could you provide some clarification? And how do you square up with biblical texts which clearly express the idea of reprobation? (I could provide you with a short list if you'd like).

12/16/2005 05:21:00 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was just kidding w/ the whole lon, long ago thing. I had Darth Vader on my mind, so, bam! That's where that came from! I just can't hold to the idea after studying the Bible holistically and thinking and praying about it a lot. It may just be my understanding, but in the end, we'll all figure this out.

Have you read Emerging Churches by Gibbs/Bolger? If you want to, I have a copy you could borrow. It's an amazing book, and it's very well researched.

Brian McLaren has a series of sermons on the emerging church, and they are alright. It's under the Cedar Ridge podcast.

If you ever want to discuss it in person, come over to Logos (I work there) and we can grab a cup of coffee (Or if you don't like coffee; I could fix you some tea) and we'll have many happy times.

Adios Timmy!

12/16/2005 07:02:00 AM

 
Blogger Timmy Brister said...

Yeah, I've been planning on picking up that book to read over the holidays. Logos? Hmmm . . . is that the cafe at the school? I am neither a coffee connoisseur nor a coffee-shop hopper - sorry about that! But I do have a weak spot when it comes to hot chocolate.

12/16/2005 07:42:00 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Logos is on Frankfort Ave. Across the street from Java. I could list why we're better than them, but it would be unkind. But, we are better.

12/16/2005 05:01:00 PM

 
Blogger G. F. McDowell said...

Here's one definition of Emerg(ing/ent):
http://purgatorio1.blogspot.com/2005/11/you-might-be-emerging-if.html

And for the sake of equal time, here's an equally humorous definition of a hypercalvinist:
http://purgatorio1.blogspot.com/2005/12/help-im-going-hyper.html

12/17/2005 05:08:00 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What do you mean by emerged from emerging? I left one 1.5 years ago. It was a brutal experience. Maybe we can chat when you get back from your mission trip. I live up I-65 in Big Ten country.

1/05/2006 04:04:00 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
Counter
Site Counters as of May 4, 2005