.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

prov·o·ca·tion - something that provokes, arouses, or stimulates. pant - to long eagerly; yearn. a collection of thoughts intended to provoke and inspire. these posts are hoping to encourage people to think, especially Christians, and pant even harder for the waterbrooks of the Lord. If you are not a believer in Christ Jesus, I welcome your perspective and encourage your investigation on these matters.

Monday, June 05, 2006

By What Means May Ministers Win Souls?

O.k., that last post definitely did not fly, so I took it down. Oh well. Making it a discipline to read up on the Puritans, I have had a few quotes that I have saved to post when I had the opportunity. This one is from Robert Trail called "By What Means May Ministers Win Souls?" and was written in 1682. I would like to dedicate this post to Mr. Rob Mart who, because of my love for the Puritans, has called P&P and "ecumenical blog." Here is the quote:

Men, brethren, and fathers, you are called to a high and holy calling: your work is full of danger, full of duty, and full of mercy. You are called to the winning of souls; an employment near akin unto our Lord’s work,—the saving of souls; and the nearer your spirits be in conformity to his holy temper and frame, the fitter you are for, and the more fruitful you shall be in, your work. None of you are ignorant of the departure of our glory, and the daily advance of its departure, and the sad appearances of the Lord’s being about to leave us utterly. Should not these signs of the times rouse up ministers to greater seriousness? What can be the reason of this sad observation,—that, when formerly a few lights, raised up in the nation, did shine so as to scatter and dispel the darkness of Popery in a little time; yet now, when there are more and more learned men amongst us, yet the darkness comes on apace? Is it not because they were men “filled with the Holy Ghost and with power,” and many of us are only filled with light and knowledge and inefficacious notions of God’s truth? Doth not always the spirit of the ministers propagate itself amongst the people? A lively ministry, and lively Christians. Therefore, be serious at heart; believe, and so speak; feel, and so speak; and as you teach, so do: and the people will feel what you say, and obey the Word of God. (209-10)

Source: A Continuation of Morning-Exercise Questions and Cases of Conscience, Practically Resolved, by Sundry Ministers. Vol.3 Wheaton, IL: Richard Owen Roberts Publishers, 1981.

5 Comments:

Blogger Tony Kummer said...

Good quote - thanks for sharing.

6/05/2006 10:01:00 PM

 
Blogger Timmy Brister said...

O.k., so we will make this a hy-brid post. If you still want to talk about whatever you want, then go for it! :) Maybe I jumped the gun and just got depressed nobody wanted to talk to me. I am a big baby.

6/06/2006 03:28:00 AM

 
Blogger Timmy Brister said...

Now concerning the Nikon D70 and D200:

The D70 is a great DSLR intro camera body. However, I would not but the kit (meaning the lens plus the body) usually because the lens is way too crappy for the body. I would buy any DSLR body separately as well as the lenses.

There are some obvious differences between the D70 and D200, but both are exceptional. I have friends who have the D70 and others who have the D200. If I am not mistaken the D200 was the camera of the year this past year, so that alone says enough about it.

A couple of things to consider however: a camera body is usually good for about 100,000 shots. I don't know how much you plan on shooting, but last year I shot about 25,000 shots which means my camera body by now is close to half its life. I am already looking at another camera body to replace this one and will keep it as a backup or 2nd body.

Also, when going with Nikon or Canon, consider also the acessories, esspecially the lenses. Personally, I think Canon makes the best glass, but Nikon produces better exposure quality and usually has a better focusing system. That is not to say that Canon is bad, only simply that Nikon is a tiny bit better on that end. Other accessories include battery grip, external flash, software, etc.

Certainly the D200 will last you a really long time (and it's features won't be outdone much through the next several years). The D70 is definitely the budget saver, especially if you are interested in getting better glass or possibly a wide angle and another lens (either telephoto or prime).

Dude, there's alot there that I haven't even mentioned, but I guess that's a start. Tell me what exactly you want to do, what you are looking for, and how much you plan on spending, and maybe I could give you a better take on the two.

As far as going out to shoot together, I am game anytime. I love night photography, nature, portraiture, well, any everything else inbetween. Just about everything I have learned about photography has come from going out with someone who taught me "on the job." I think that's the way to go if you want to learn.

6/06/2006 03:39:00 AM

 
Blogger Tony Kummer said...

Let's talk about why you don't have a recent picture? People at school come and rant at me for my blog but I wouldn't know you if I saw you. How can I mock you in person if you are unknown to the churches in Judea?

You picture actually looks like a kid in my children's church - he knows all about provocation.

6/06/2006 07:40:00 PM

 
Blogger Timmy Brister said...

Good question Tony.

Actually, when I started blogging a year ago, I had no clue what I was doing, nor did I know what blogging really was. I just had a friend who did it and had heard about how blogging was making an impact in the political world and wanted to see what it was all about.

The title of my blog, my profile pic, and the description of the blog has not been changed since the first day of creating this thing. I have thought about changing all of them a million times (including the template), but for some reason haven't since then.

I have talked with Challies about leaving Blogger and having him create me a blog and template, and that is still in the plans. Probably later this summer.

I do, however, have several recent pictures of me on my Flickr page as well as my blog. Here are some links if you are interested (sorry for not hyperlinking them . . . I am not that savvy yet):

http://photos1.blogger.com/blogger/7840/923/1600/My%20Attempt%20To%20Look%20Smart.jpg
http://www.flickr.com/photos/solaluminacaptura/136243145/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/solaluminacaptura/130355863/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/solaluminacaptura/76358274/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/solaluminacaptura/76358272/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/solaluminacaptura/66145487/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/solaluminacaptura/66313803/

The last one is me as a ghost (look closely).

I will try to put an updated picture for the profile soon. I just though I was way too pimp to let that childhood pic go. To have a blog called "Provocations and Pantings" I figured I needed to look a little intimidating, and well, I don't think anyone wants to mess with me after have seen that pic. I mean, if I was that tough at age six, just imagine what I am now at 26!

6/06/2006 10:12:00 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
Counter
Site Counters as of May 4, 2005