.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

prov·o·ca·tion - something that provokes, arouses, or stimulates. pant - to long eagerly; yearn. a collection of thoughts intended to provoke and inspire. these posts are hoping to encourage people to think, especially Christians, and pant even harder for the waterbrooks of the Lord. If you are not a believer in Christ Jesus, I welcome your perspective and encourage your investigation on these matters.

Thursday, September 28, 2006

2006 Desiring God National Conference - Initial Thoughts

Five months ago at the Together for the Gospel Conference, I first saw the video trailer for the 2006 Desiring God National Conference and said to myself, “Self, you’ve gotta be there.” Well, not really, but at that moment I began making plans for this conference which included reading Wells’ book Above All Earthly Pow’rs and changing my original plans of attending the SBC Annual Meeting in Greensboro. I have never been to Minneapolis and have long desired to visit Bethlehem Baptist Church. Also, over the past years, I have met several folks who are either from BBC or are currently members there and look forward to seeing them in their context. A couple of days ago, I mentioned that I was looking at some audio books to listen to while driving this week. Well, I have four that I have scheduled to listen to as well as some other sermons and lectures. Here’s what my drive time audio looks like right now:

  • A Primer on Postmodernism by Stanley Grenz (audio book)
  • Can Evangelicals Learn from World Religions? by Gerald McDermott (audio book)
  • The Universe Next Door by James Sire (audio book)
  • Evangelism and the Sovereignty of God by J.I. Packer (audio book)
  • The Pleasures of God by John Piper (audio book)
  • Reform & Resurge Conference audio
  • John Piper sermons on sanctification and providence (from Romans)
  • Tim Keller sermons on the gospel, church planting, and culture
  • SBTS chapel messages to date (for Fall 2006)
  • A couple of messages by John Murray on Election and Foreknowledge

When I get back, I think I will post some reflections on what these books and sermons and may offer some recommendations. I have read most of them, but it will be good to listen to them as a different means of assimilation and meditation. There are several things I am wanting God to do in my life this week, and I am praying that He will be pleased to work in me profoundly to conform into the image of His beloved Son, my Treasure.

A couple of people whom I had the pleasure to meet first at the T4G Conference that I especially look forward to hanging out with include Challies, Marc, and Joe. I also look forward to meeting many others for the first time whom I know through their writings either through they blogs or their comments.

Lastly, depending on whether I have an internet connection or not, I will attempt to post up-to-date photos of the speakers and happenings at the conference. When I did this for the T4G conference, it seemed to be received well, so I will give it a try again (I have noticed that Blogger is having problems uploading again, so that too may prevent my posting). Joe told me that Cawley knew of a hot spot for free wifi and good food, so we might be hitting that up upon his recommendation. In any case, I hope to have something up on P&P, so please stay tuned. In the meantime, let me just take a moment to say thanks for reading my blog. There are tons of other things you could do than spend a few moments reading P&P, and I am grateful for your interest, interaction, and encouragement along the way.

2 Comments:

Blogger Andrew Lindsey said...

< guilt trip >/
"...and changing my original plans of attending the SBC Annual Meeting in Greensboro."

Now i begin to understand how Res. 5 passed, Ascol's res. did not and why Dever isn't VP of the SBC.

Thanks, buddy-
have fun at the conference.
/< guilt trip >

9/28/2006 07:46:00 PM

 
Blogger broadstone said...

Timmy,

When you go to the book tables/cashier ask about a Tim or Jennifer (?) Vitullo. I've tried to get a "hello" to them for the last year and have been unsuccessful. They housed me for the BBC Pastors conference a couple years back.

So, if you get the opportunity, ask around and if you see Tim Vitullo, tell him, "Kelly B. says hello!"

I really wish I was there, but we'll hold the fort down here Louisville.

Sure hope you get an internet connection.

graceandpeace,
Kelly

9/29/2006 08:05:00 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
Counter
Site Counters as of May 4, 2005