.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

prov·o·ca·tion - something that provokes, arouses, or stimulates. pant - to long eagerly; yearn. a collection of thoughts intended to provoke and inspire. these posts are hoping to encourage people to think, especially Christians, and pant even harder for the waterbrooks of the Lord. If you are not a believer in Christ Jesus, I welcome your perspective and encourage your investigation on these matters.

Saturday, September 16, 2006

Traveling North, Tips Please

In less than two weeks, I will be joining 3000+ folks who will be attending the 2006 Desiring God National Conference, Above All Earthly Powers: The Supremacy of God in a Postmodern World. Not only with this be my first Desiring God conference, but this will be the first time I have ever traveled north of my current residence in Louisville, Kentucky (I'm a bama boy who's roamed the South). With that said, I was wondering if anyone who lives in Illinois, Missouri, Iowa, Minnesota, or Wisconsin have any traveling tips for me to consider and check out. If you want to know what specifically I am looking for, there are two things on the top of my mind: unique places to stop and great places to photograph. I will be driving and traveling solo, so I will have the flexibility to stop and take some back roads as well. Last year, Dan and I did a backpackin'/photographic trip during the Fall, and I am hoping that the before and after days would prove to be this years version of capturing some good photos as well. On the way up, I plan on going through St. Louis, Kansas City, and Des Moines (I-64 route). On the way back, I am currently planning an excursion up to the tip of Minnesota and work my way around Lake Superior and Lake Michigan, and down through Wisconsin, Chicago area, and Indy (I-65 route). Anyway, if you live or have toured around these areas and know of some great places for me to check out or photograph, please comment or email me. You can find my email in the "my profile" section. Also, in case you are wondering, I hope to do a little live-picture-blogging like I did for the T4G Conference. It appears that those photos were helpful for those who could not attend the conference and read Challies live-blogging posts. We'll see if I can get some good photos from the conference as well. Anyway, thanks for your help.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Timmy,

My wife and I attended the National Conference last year and I was in Chicago with my youth group this past June. If you get a chance to stop in downtown Chicago, eat at Giordano's if you get a chance. Their world famous stuffed pizza is INCREDIBLE! If your wife is going with you, make sure you go to the Mall of America in Minneapolis. We did this when we arrived and it was amazing just to see how big it is! We aren't going to the conference this year so we are jealous! We will be going to Ligonier's Conference in March (the lineup for that event is power packed)! I hope you have a great time. I'm sure you will.

9/16/2006 08:29:00 AM

 
Blogger Steve Weaver said...

Blessings on your trip. I enjoyed our fellowship on Thursday. I'll see you again next month!

9/16/2006 08:59:00 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Timmy,

I had one more thought about traveling through Chicago and photo ops. If you can, take Lakeshore Drive (instead of the Dan Ryan expressway). I think it's Hwy 41, someone please correct me if I am wrong. This will take you along the shore of Lake Michigan and the east side of downtown. Great views! This will also take you right by Soldier field.

9/16/2006 11:09:00 AM

 
Blogger Timmy Brister said...

Steve,

Thanks man. I enjoyed our time as well (as usual). Hope Dr. Haykin didn't mind me taking you away from the Cappadocians . . .

9/16/2006 01:47:00 PM

 
Blogger Timmy Brister said...

Scott,

You are correct. It is hwy 41. I just saw it on the map. It looks like a sweet piece of road.

Unfortunately, my wife will not be traveling with me. We had plans on both attending, but when her sister got breast cancer, we felt that it would be best for her to spend as many weekends with her and the kids as possible, especially with the chemo treatments. Maybe next year. :)

Giordano's eh? I will check that out.

9/16/2006 01:50:00 PM

 
Blogger Timmy Brister said...

Yeah, for me it was either Ligonier or this one. I also changed my plans on going to Greensboro for the convention so I could make it to this conference. I guess when you are not on staff with a church, you don't get as many breaks. :( But when they do come, gotta make them count!

If you go to Ligonier, look for Steve Weaver. I think he said he was going (and Scott Welch).

9/18/2006 10:48:00 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
Counter
Site Counters as of May 4, 2005