.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

prov·o·ca·tion - something that provokes, arouses, or stimulates. pant - to long eagerly; yearn. a collection of thoughts intended to provoke and inspire. these posts are hoping to encourage people to think, especially Christians, and pant even harder for the waterbrooks of the Lord. If you are not a believer in Christ Jesus, I welcome your perspective and encourage your investigation on these matters.

Wednesday, October 18, 2006

Laptop Woes and A Brief Response

When I last responded in the meta from my computer on the last post, I was heading out for my Monday night class. While taking notes during the class, my computer screen went black, and I haven't been able to get it up since then. For the past couple of weeks, I have been having problems with my laptop screen, and the manufacturer told me that the graphics card as overheating. I purchased a laptop surface cooler (laptop sits on top of cooling fans) with the hope that the problem would be resolved. Well, it didn't. I am currently trying to get in contact with the manufacturer of my laptop to see whether I need a new screen, graphics card, both, or something else. At this present moment, I am in the computer lab at the school, getting ready to head over to the library to do some Greek exegesis and some research on a paper I am working on dealing with inclusivism and the nature of saving faith. The reason I share this with you is to inform you that I have not been intentionally trying to ignore all the questions and comments from my previous post. I also have not read all 65 comments but hope to when I have time. I would like to address some of the questions and comments concerning Calvinism and Arminianism in the near future, but I don't know if doing so would further incriminate me as being "obsessed with Calvinism." For the record I am not. I do care about the doctrines of Scripture and of grace very much, and I do believe that we should really believe what we believe. Part of the reason why I believe Calvinists are committed to the doctrines of grace so much is because they refuse to have a surface-level, minimalistic understanding of the gospel. When your mind is arrested by truth and these truths make your heart sing, such soul-riveting glories inevitably manifest itself in daily discourse. It is not a rant, meaningless argument, but the commentary of a Christian who has been staggered by grace. I know many of you have already read my "What Is a True Calvinist?" posts, but I would like to provide the links again in case anyone hasn't and would be interested. I have yet to post the last two in the series (Evangelism and Missions, and My Concluding Reflections) but hope to do so soon. Regarding Calvinism and evangelism, I am scheduling to post a five-post series in which I hope to address how the doctrine of election relates to evangelism. And because it has been asked of me to address my position on double predestination and reprobation, I hope to write on that as well. The purpose of me writing on these matters comes with the hope that I can encourage you to study the Scriptures for yourselves as good Bereans (Acts 17:11). In writing these posts, I am not making the assertion that I know everything or claim to; furthermore, I believe that my position can be refined with a better understanding of the matters as it is discussed with sincere hearts and studious minds. Concerning the debate over free will and predestination I am reminded of what Spurgeon said:

There are some men who claim to know all about the matter. They twist it round their fingers as easily as if it were an everyday thing; but depend upon it, he who thinks he knows all about this mystery, knows but very little. It is but the hallowness of his mind that permits him to see the bottom of his knowledge; he who dives deep, finds that there is in the lowest depth to which he can attain a deeper depth still.
Let me be clear. I am not writing for theological one-upmanship or for debate. I also hope to not caricature anyone's beliefs or call into question their character (as I hope you do for me as well). I do, however, want to take a serious and thorough look at what the Bible says about the gospel and the doctrines we believe. In the end, I believe that it would be worth it, even if we agree to disagree. If I have offended any of you with an attitude or demeaner not becoming of Christ, I sincerely apologize. I do not want my blog or its comments section to be a place where people are belittled or treated with contempt because they think differently on a matter. There is no reason why we cannot have genuine discussion and strong convictions without resorting to ad hominems and castigations. In the end, we are brothers and sisters in Christ, and when the discussion is ended, I want to be able to pray with you and look you in the face and tell you, "I love you and appreciate you." Again, thank you for your interest in the things I write, and I hope that indeed the truths of Scripture will bind our consciences, ground our thoughts, and govern our lives. Here are the links for the "What Is a True Calvinist?" series: Part One: Introduction Part Two: God-centered Mind and Penitent Spirit Part Three: Grateful Heart and Submissive Will Part Four: Holy Life and Glorious Ambition

4 Comments:

Blogger Stephen Newell said...

Tim,

Did you check to make sure the little push button thingy that turns the screen off when you close it didn't get stuck? That happened to me and now every time I open my laptop I make sure it fully releases. If not, then oh well, sorry I can't be of more help!

10/18/2006 02:56:00 PM

 
Blogger Timmy Brister said...

Stephen,

Yeah, the CPU actually turns on and actions normal but nothing is showing up on the screen! I first thought I had fried my hard drive (it is maxed out). That still might have something to do with it. I also took the bottom of the laptop apart and cleaned out the fans and internals of any dust or debris that might be in there. Oh well. I should be okay for now, but I have several projects including weddings to shoot that I will need in the future. Hopefully the problem can be fixed by then. Thanks anyway bro., and it as good to see you on the belt last night.

10/18/2006 02:59:00 PM

 
Blogger Renee said...

Is it a Dell? I know several including my own that would be up and running and all of a sudden the screen just goes black. A Dell tech came and gave me a whole new screen. Then my fan sounded like it was going to explode and the lap top got really hot. So, the the Dell tech came and gave me a whole new mother board. I think they needed to give me a whole new lap top. I only got all that done because it was under warrenty. Otherwise I guess I would have just been in trouble and without those options. Dells seem to be notorious for the screens messing up and the fans not keeping them cool.

10/18/2006 03:33:00 PM

 
Blogger Timmy Brister said...

Renee,

Unfortunately it isn't. My laptop was custom made from a company called Xtreme Notebooks. At the time I was doing various video and photo editing and thus needed a little more than what was generally offered at the time in the market. You can check out their website at http://xtremenotebooks.com/.

Last time I talked with them, they informed me that they were a Chrisitan company running on Christian values. They also have had a high approval rating. Let's hope that rings true for me. :)

10/18/2006 04:01:00 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
Counter
Site Counters as of May 4, 2005