.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

prov·o·ca·tion - something that provokes, arouses, or stimulates. pant - to long eagerly; yearn. a collection of thoughts intended to provoke and inspire. these posts are hoping to encourage people to think, especially Christians, and pant even harder for the waterbrooks of the Lord. If you are not a believer in Christ Jesus, I welcome your perspective and encourage your investigation on these matters.

Friday, December 08, 2006

POTW :: 12.08.06 :: surreal

[click to enlarge]
Alright. I am about to be a little random here on my weekly POTW post. Please bear with me. First of all, I still don't have my laptop. I wrestled with whether or not to file a complaint with BBB concerning the company who I purchased the laptop from, but I am not that type of guy. But a 1-2 week guarantee has turned into 6 weeks now with no certain return date in the near future! One of the reasons I went with them is because of their high reseller rating and customer service reviews. I guess my situation is an anomaly (at least I hope so). They also state that their purpose in their business is "to become the nations' #1 provider of the products and services that we offer while offering this business up to our Lord Jesus daily as we try to represent how He would want us to live, do business, and share all that He has done in our lives with anyone who comes our way." As a customer, I am hoping to honor Christ by not being a total jerk. But I really would like to have my laptop back sometime . . . Sometime soon, because next weekend, I will be shooting a wedding in Alabama. This will be my second wedding this fall and only my fifth this year (last year I shot around 15). My camera is also still dysfunctional. I figured out the problem, though. The pins which connect the CF card to the camera are bent in two places and I cannot reach them to straighten them out (I probably shouldn't anyway). So I am trying to get it to an authorized Canon technician hoping that it wouldn't be too big of a deal. I really miss taking pictures. :( Which brings me to my third random thought and the setting of this week's photo. The photo was taken on the riverfront in downtown Louisville with a really cold WB (2800K) (for non-photographers, white balance determines the kind of light the camera reads - e.g. flourescent, tungsten, sun, shade, etc.). Anyway, Dan shared with me yesterday that Louisville is getting a new skyscraper called the Museum Plaza which is fascinating to look at. It is a 61 story of three towers that will have an "acre island" hovering 22 stories in the air. Not only that, but it will contain a contemporary art museum, restaurants and retail stores, 85 luxury condominiums, 150 lofts, a 300-room hotel, office space and a 1,100-car underground parking garage. Now, I must say from the superimposed photos, this behemoth sticks out like a sore thumb in the skyline. However, it gives me new incentive to get out and take more pics of downtown Louisville (which have been some of my more popular photos among locals). I guess that wasn't too random. Did I tell you that all I want for Christmas is my 16 gig? That baby is hot! Shooting RAW, I could still knock out about 1700 on one memory card! Oh, and have you checked out the new Extreme IV cards? Man I am a photog junkie. Maybe things can get fixed soon enough to add a little more spice to P&P in the future. In the meantime, I hope you have a wonderful weekend and a Christ-centered holiday season. tnb ** To view my stagnant Flickr page, go here, and for the Friday Photo Group, go here.

9 Comments:

Blogger DJP said...

Isn't that where Will Smith sat and thought about whether to join the Men in Black?

12/08/2006 09:04:00 AM

 
Blogger William E. Turner Jr. said...

Hey - when you get your camera working again if you are interested I would love to get together with you and shoot downtown. Do you know of anyone else at SBTS or around who would like to go shooting?

Some night shooting would be cool too with light up Louisville in affect. I have to find some reasons to use my new camera.

If you are interested let me know.
weturner777 [at] hotmail.com

12/08/2006 02:09:00 PM

 
Blogger William E. Turner Jr. said...

BTW, I am happy to have a 4 gig CF card. 404 RAW pics!

12/08/2006 02:10:00 PM

 
Blogger Timmy Brister said...

DJP,

Not sure, but I do know it is where I used to take pictures. :)

William,

Dude I would love to. I really would like to get a couple of the skyline with the red and green lights on some of the buildings. Yeah, I say that new 30D you recently purchased. You gonna love it.

I am always looking for new places to shoot.

Earlier this summer I started this game on Flickr for fellow Louisvillian photogs called "Where's Flicko?" It started off well but interest slowing waned. Basically, you go and shoot something around Louisville, post it on Flickr, and the goal is to take the exact same picture and post it juxtaposed to the original. Then that person does the same thing. The result is to go places and shoot where you haven't before and have some fun in the meantime.

12/08/2006 02:15:00 PM

 
Blogger Timmy Brister said...

William,

I have seen 4GB Ultra II's for only $140 on both Dell and other local sales. This time last year they were around $350! The 4G Extreme III is around $180 I think. Either way, the price on memory cards are dropping considerably, and that makes me happy.

Oh, I think staples has Ultra II 2 GB for $39.99 as well. I think I am going to pick one up before next weekend. How much memory do you have by the way?

12/08/2006 02:19:00 PM

 
Blogger William E. Turner Jr. said...

I just got the 4 Gig yesterday. Paid $80. It is a Transcend 120X from Newegg. It had decent reviews so I thought I would give it a try. I wanted Sandisk but too expensive.

When I first got the 30D (a week ago) I only had two 128MB cards! RAW was impossible. So a whopping total of 4gig + 256mb. I need more, but a tripod is more pressing. I think I am just going to pick up a cheap one to beat around and save up for a Bogen/Manfrotto.

I have been wanting to go around to historic churches in Louisville and take pics. There are a few older Catholic ones downtown and there is a nice gothic one near Shively that I pass on the way to work.

Unfortunately, I work 2nd shift so I could only night shoot on the weekends or early in the morning. I would be willing to get up early though.

This weekend I am preaching so I probably shouldn't go out at night... Let me know when you are available and when is best for you.

Do you know anyone else who would be interested? Just so we don't go downtown with expensive equipment and get mugged! :)

12/08/2006 02:31:00 PM

 
Blogger Timmy Brister said...

There are a couple of guys that I usually go shooting with. We all have the 20D and have different shooting styles which makes it fun.

Right now, I have 10.5 GB of memory (1 4GB, 1 2GB, 4 1GB, and 1 515MB). All those memory cards can be difficult to shuffle through when shooting a lot, so I am trying to go up to using only 2 and 4GB. I've got a friend who shoots weddings professionally and goes through 4GB an hour! Of course, he has over 32GB of memory, so that's no problem for him!

I want to get a back up body sometime in the future. I am thinking about the 30D or 5D and using my current 20D as the backup. Canon also came out with the 70-200 f/4 with IS (which wasn't on the previous version) as well as a fast 17-85 f/2.8 IS lens that are hot. Unfortunately, I am a broke seminary student who ends up buying books instead of camera gear. Actually I haven't purchased any camera gear since last Christmas!

Anyway, this weekend won't work either. My first priority is to get the camera fixed. Hopefully that wouldn't be too big of a problem.

12/08/2006 03:20:00 PM

 
Blogger jettery hibbard said...

I have understand your stuff previous to and you’re just too magnificent. I really like what you have acquired here, certainly like what you are stating and the way in which you say it. dog grooming | Razor Blades

8/14/2011 07:14:00 AM

 
Blogger Clipping Solutions said...

This post is very informative. Thank you so much.
Ghost Mannequin services
Photo Retouching Services
background removal service

10/26/2019 12:12:00 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
Counter
Site Counters as of May 4, 2005