.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

prov·o·ca·tion - something that provokes, arouses, or stimulates. pant - to long eagerly; yearn. a collection of thoughts intended to provoke and inspire. these posts are hoping to encourage people to think, especially Christians, and pant even harder for the waterbrooks of the Lord. If you are not a believer in Christ Jesus, I welcome your perspective and encourage your investigation on these matters.

Wednesday, March 16, 2005

Scott Peterson and the Sentence of Death

Today, one of the most publicized cases finally came to a close. Scott Peterson, guilty of murdering his wife and unborn child, has been sentenced to death row. I have thought about this, and how much this case has stirred the nation. Many issues, like the rights of the unborn, the destruction of the marriage covenant, and the viability of the court system have all been at play in this trial. Not that justice has been served, many feel a sense of relief and that the right thing has been done. Then I thought? What if, while in prison, God revealed himself to Scott Peterson and used him to change many people's lives? What if God appointed this man to declare the gospel message with boldness to everyone he meets? I know it sounds wierd, but is that not similar to what happend with Saul? While on the road to Damacus, Saul had no idea and no plans to be God's instrument to take the gospel to the nations. Rather, he was on his way to persecute and kill more Christians. Then God rocked his world. But would the Christian community and the world around him believe that God truly saved him and called him to now preach the Word? Anyone can see how hard it would be for us to let someone like Scott Peterson be a spokesperson for a Holy God. Yet, if you think about it, Moses, David, and Paul all were murders, and those hands which were guilty of someone else's blood also penned a major portion of Scripture. This I say, speaks of the mercy and grace of God. Then I have to look to myself. Who am I that God would save me and use me for His kingdom? What inherent goodness and worthiness is there in me that God should see fit to save me and call me to himself? Nothing more than Scott Peterson. I conclude with what Paul said of his life to the Corinthian church. He, who brought the sentence of death on Christians, now as he puts it, faces the sentence of death for the cause of Christ. This is the transformed life. This is the heart of the gospel. This is the power of God. "For we do not want you to be ignorant, brothers, of the affliction we experienced in Asia. For we were so utterly burdened beyond our strength that we despaired of life itself. Indeed, we felt that we had received the sentence of death. But that was to make us rely not on ourselves but on God who raises the dead. He delivered us from such a deadly peril, and he will deliver us. On him we have set our hope that he will deliver us again." 2 Corinthians 1:8-10 I don't know what God is up to concerning Scott Peterson. I pray that God saves him and uses him for what is left of his life. I wonder, if there was a Saul who was converted, a man who murdered Christians who lived his life to destroy the Church, if he would be accepted in the Christian community today. Something I must think about and hope others do too.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
Counter
Site Counters as of May 4, 2005