.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

prov·o·ca·tion - something that provokes, arouses, or stimulates. pant - to long eagerly; yearn. a collection of thoughts intended to provoke and inspire. these posts are hoping to encourage people to think, especially Christians, and pant even harder for the waterbrooks of the Lord. If you are not a believer in Christ Jesus, I welcome your perspective and encourage your investigation on these matters.

Monday, April 17, 2006

Dever, Spurgeon on Election and Evangelism

Mark Dever has a great post concerning sovereign election on the T4G blog. Here is a blurb:

"I understand that some worry that if we accept the Bible's teaching on election we will never evangelize. Should we not also be worried that if we reject the Bible's teaching on election we will never be humbled enough to make Christianity look like anything worth having? I love Spurgeon's humility. I love his boasting in God. I think it is attractive. I think it is motivating to evangelism. I think it displays God's love. A biblical doctrine of election highlights our poverty and Christ's riches, our weakness and Christ's strength, our need and God's supply."
Referring to Spurgeon, this is what he (Spurgeon) had to say about unconditional election:
"I believe the doctrine of election, because I am quite sure that if God had not chosen me I should never have chosen him; and I am sure he chose me before I was born, or else he never would have chosen me afterwards; and he must have elected me for reasons unknown to me, for I never could find any reason in myself why he should have looked upon me with special love. So I am forced to accept that doctrine," (Lectures, book 2, page 47).
I must say, my respect and admiration for Mark Dever is growing by the day. Last week, he took a courageous stand for the penal, substitutionary atonement of Jesus Christ as well as spoke at SWBTS where Paige Patterson is president (Patterson not fond of Calvinists). Dever's courage, character, and conviction has certainly been a biblical model of leadership which I hope to emulate.

1 Comments:

Blogger Sean Dietrich said...

I love Charles Spurgeon,
He is so cut and dry, and so full of real passion! His book Lectures to my students is a great book that I have enjoyed. Good practical advice. I love that he was virtually a Holy-Spirit taught man. I heard that he never went to cemetary. Ooops I mean Seminary!

I am a musician and I would be honored if you would check out my music. All my music is free for download. Anyway, I don't mean to be a pest, just thought I'd share.

Thanks,
-Sean
______________________
www.SeanDietrich.com
"All my muisc is free."

7/08/2006 12:11:00 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
Counter
Site Counters as of May 4, 2005