.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

prov·o·ca·tion - something that provokes, arouses, or stimulates. pant - to long eagerly; yearn. a collection of thoughts intended to provoke and inspire. these posts are hoping to encourage people to think, especially Christians, and pant even harder for the waterbrooks of the Lord. If you are not a believer in Christ Jesus, I welcome your perspective and encourage your investigation on these matters.

Saturday, June 10, 2006

Piper's Update and the Pastor as Theologian

Earlier this month, John Piper wrote his third update from Cambridge where he has been on sabbatical while recovering from his surgery and prostate cancer. I find this little letter immensely encouraging. Let me provide a snippit of what he said:

Yesterday, June 1, I completed the major project of the sabbatical, a book called What Jesus Demands from the World. It is much larger than I anticipated—about 250 single-spaced pages (113,000 words). . . . The goal of the book is God-glorifying obedience to Jesus. And since he told us to teach all the nations everything he commanded, I pray that the book will advance the cause of world missions. Thank you so much for praying. I said to some friends this morning: The gestation period was sixty years, the labor was eight weeks, and the birth a great relief. What life and usefulness the baby will have in this world, God will decide.
Here is a man who while recovering from surgery write a book that is 113,000 words! I heard it was said by Piper that he finds rest in productivity. If that is the case, then he must really be resting! I anxiously await reading this book as I am sure it will do much to conform me to Jesus Christ. If you would like to read Piper's two other updates, you can find them here and here. The example set for by Piper is a lesson to all of us in service to Jesus. This reminds me that I have wanted to link up Dr. Mohler's recent three-part series called "The Pastor as Theologian" as I see in Piper the preeminent pastor-theologian today (Mark Dever would not be far behind). I really believe that the dying need of churches today is pastors who are theologians, not just church growth experts who have majored in pragmatism. If churches did their job in discipleship and training in theology and practice, seminaries and Christian colleges would be unnecessary. Anyway, I think these posts by Mohler are timely and pertinent to today, especially since they are written by the president of the largest Christian seminary in the world. Here they are: The Pastor as Theologian Part One The Pastor as Theologian Part Two The Pastor as Theologian Part Three

4 Comments:

Blogger Kenan said...

Mega dittos, Tim.

6/10/2006 12:31:00 PM

 
Blogger Steve Weaver said...

Amen, Timmy! That's what I want to be when I grow up!

6/10/2006 01:47:00 PM

 
Blogger Timmy Brister said...

In recent months, I have heard of older folks critizing the younger folk and their affinity to the likes of Piper and Dever. They think we esteem them because of their stance of Calvinism. While this is truth in part, it is but one reason why they are so well-respected.

First, they live, breathe, and preach a humble orthodoxy while unflichingly hold to the truths of Scripture.

Second, they take seriously the task to preeminently see their roles as teachers of the whole counsel of the Word of God.

Third, they view success in ministry according to Scripture, not according to the methods and measurements of the world.

Fourth, they root their ministry with a long-term commitment to God's Church, not enamored by the trendiness and novelty in the evangelical world. They aren't looking for what works, but rather what God honors.

Fifth, they have taken a genuine and profound interest in the younger generation to mentor, train, and encourage them in their pursuit of godliness and a God-glorifying, Christ-centered ministry.

These are but a few reasons that come to my mind as to why Piper and Dever are so esteemed. I will never forget when Piper was at the T4G conference and the love and affection which was poured out to this man. I sat 10 feet away from him on the second row and watched this humble and meek servant of God be honored and endeared by younger ministers who have become jaded and disinterested in the superficial and synthetic ministries so prevalent today.

6/10/2006 03:16:00 PM

 
Blogger iconoclasm said...

I don't mean to threadjack but I couldn't find your email. Guess who is featured on myiconoclasm today?

6/10/2006 09:23:00 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
Counter
Site Counters as of May 4, 2005