.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

prov·o·ca·tion - something that provokes, arouses, or stimulates. pant - to long eagerly; yearn. a collection of thoughts intended to provoke and inspire. these posts are hoping to encourage people to think, especially Christians, and pant even harder for the waterbrooks of the Lord. If you are not a believer in Christ Jesus, I welcome your perspective and encourage your investigation on these matters.

Sunday, October 22, 2006

Spurgeon's Discovery of Sovereign Grace

At the age of sixteen, Charles Spurgeon underwent an experience which changed his life. Follow as he tells his story:

When I was coming to Christ, I thought I was doing it all myself, and though I sought the Lord earnestly, I had no idea the Lord was seeking me. I do not think the young convert is at first aware of this. I can recall the very day and hour when first I received those truths [the doctrine of election] in my own soul--when they were, as John Bunyan says, burnt into my heart as with a hot iron, and I can recollect how I felt that I had grown on a sudden from a babe into a man--that I had made progress in Scriptural knowledge, through having found, once for all, that clue to the truth of God. One week-night, when I was sitting in the house of God, I was not thinking much about the preacher's sermon, for I did not believe it. The thought struck me, "How did you come to be a Christian?" I sought the Lord. "But how did you come to seek the Lord?" The truth flashed across my mind in a moment--I should not have sought Him unless there had been some previous influence in my mind to make me seek Him. I prayed, thought I, but then I asked myself, "How can I pray?" I was induced to pray by reading the Scriptures. "How came I to read the Scriptures?" I did read them, but what led me to do so? Then, in a moment, I saw that God was at the bottom of it all, and that He was the Author of my faith, and so the whole doctrine of grace opened up to me, and from that doctrine I have not departed to this day, and I desire to make this my constant confession, "I ascribe my change wholly to God."
- Charles Spurgeon, Autobiography, 1 (Edinburgh: Banner of Truth, 1962): 164-65. [emphasis mine] In upcoming weeks, I will post similar excerpts from men in Baptist history as well as other leading theologians on the doctrines of grace (in particular the doctrine of election). I hope these quotes will be helpful to you in your [historical] understanding of the doctrines of grace.

6 Comments:

Blogger Renee said...

from the 1859 sermon by Charles Spurgeon entitled JACOB AND ESAU.
“Why does God hate any man? I defy anyone to give any answer but this, because that man deserves it; no reply but that can ever be true. There are some who answer, divine sovereignty; but I challenge them to look that doctrine in the face. Do you believe that God created man and arbitrarily, sovereignly — it is the same thing — created that man, with no other intention, than that of damning him? Made him, and yet, for no other reason than that of destroying him for ever? Well, if you can believe it, I pity you, that is all I can say: you deserve pity, that you should think so meanly of God, whose mercy endureth for ever.”
CITATION: Charles Spurgeon, Sermon: JACOB AND ESAU (January 16, 1859)

I found this part of this sermon somewhere else. What would you say in reference to this and Romans 9?

If you have already explained it somewhere else just direct me to it.

10/24/2006 10:07:00 AM

 
Blogger Renee said...

Is what Spurgeon is having pity on here, those who believe in double predestination? Would he pity John Piper? (I'm being serious here) Real questions.

10/24/2006 10:11:00 AM

 
Blogger Renee said...

I found a link to the entire Spurgeon sermon on Strange Baptist Fire. I found the piece of it on Ergun Caner's website. I think I'll just keep asking you questions then finding the answers 5 minutes later. :) It's a way for me to have a conversation with myself and not get funny looks.

10/24/2006 11:08:00 AM

 
Blogger Timmy Brister said...

Renee,

Yeah, Mr. Caner is looking for proof texts and allies for his position. He thought he had one in Spurgeon . . . until he read the rest of the sermon.

Feel free to ask whatever questions you like, and if I can't get around to answering them, maybe someone else can (even yourself). :)

Have a blessed day.

10/24/2006 11:14:00 AM

 
Blogger Renee said...

Looking for Spurgeon to support anything that is not calvinism would prove futile. Taking words from a man's sermon out of context... hmmmm does that mean you may approach the bible the same way? I would expect more from a person in his (Caner) postion.

10/24/2006 02:39:00 PM

 
Blogger Timmy Brister said...

Renee,

I think your thoughts are shared by alot of people, whether they disagree with Mr. Caner or not.

10/24/2006 08:42:00 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
Counter
Site Counters as of May 4, 2005