.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

prov·o·ca·tion - something that provokes, arouses, or stimulates. pant - to long eagerly; yearn. a collection of thoughts intended to provoke and inspire. these posts are hoping to encourage people to think, especially Christians, and pant even harder for the waterbrooks of the Lord. If you are not a believer in Christ Jesus, I welcome your perspective and encourage your investigation on these matters.

Friday, November 10, 2006

Election

This is a prayer from The Valley of Vision: A Collection of Puritan Prayers and Devotions. In keeping with the topic, I thought this prayer would be good to see how Christians in the past have prayed with regards to the doctrine of election. Holy Trinity, All praise to thee for electing me to salvation, by foreknowledge of God the Father, through the sanctification of the Spirit, unto obedience and sprinkling of the blood of Jesus; I adore the wonders of thy condescending love, marvel at the true believer's high privilege within whom all heaven comes to dwell, abiding in God and God in him; I believe it, help me exercise it to the full. Continue to teach me that Christ's righteousness satisfies justice and evidences thy love; Help me to make use of it by faith as the ground of my peace and of thy favour and acceptance, so that I may live always near the cross. It is not feeling the Spirit that proves my saved state but the truth of what Christ did perfectly for me; All holiness in him by faith made mine, as if I had done it; Therefore I see the use of his righteousness, for satisfaction to divine justice and making me righteous. It is not inner sensation that makes Christ's death mine for that may be delusion, being without the Word, but his death apprehended by my faith, and so testified by Word and Spirit. I bless thee for these lively exercises of faith, for the righteousness that is mine in Jesus, for grace to resign my will to thee; I rejoice to think that all things are at thy disposal, and I love to leave them there. Then prayer turns wholly into praise, and all I can do is to adore and love thee. I want not the favour of man to lean upon, for I know that thy electing grace is infinitely better.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
Counter
Site Counters as of May 4, 2005