.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

prov·o·ca·tion - something that provokes, arouses, or stimulates. pant - to long eagerly; yearn. a collection of thoughts intended to provoke and inspire. these posts are hoping to encourage people to think, especially Christians, and pant even harder for the waterbrooks of the Lord. If you are not a believer in Christ Jesus, I welcome your perspective and encourage your investigation on these matters.

Monday, August 15, 2005

A Better Glimpse of Heaven

Saturday morning I woke up with this Scripture on my mind:

"Listen, my beloved brothers, has not God chosen those who are poor in this world to be rich in faith and heirs of the kingdom, which he has promised to those who love him?"
James 2:5
I have been thinking quite a bit about the type of people in my life and about how many people are like me. Our race is usually the same; our socio-economic status is the same; our apparel looks the same; our talk is the same. I seem to surround myself with people who are just like me. Could we not also say this about the Church? Churches I have been a part of have typically been white, middle-class Americans, family of four with a three bedroom, two bath, two car garage with an alarm system and picket fence (a broad generalization but gets the point across). I have realized that many churches are poor pictures of what heaven is going to be like. In heaven, the majority won't be white, won't speak English, and won't be rich in this world. This past weekend, I got a better glimpse of heaven at the Wayside Downtown Rescue Mission in Louisville. They had a praise fest put on by the church I am a member of (Ninth and O), and there people of all races, all soci0-economic classes, from all walks of life - all praising God. It was sweltering hot that afternoon, but my soul was so refreshed. We sang, danced, and ate some tasty hot-dogs together as a community of believers, not all fixed-up and pretending, but as pilgrims who are on our way home. A way which at times seems hard and lonely, a way which for many has left them homeless and destitute, a way which has been neglected by so many. Yet the way has brought us here, and He has given me a better glimpse of what home is going to be like. Whether the Church chooses to embrace the poor in this world is a question that is before each and every one of us, but God has answered it on his behalf. In his sovereign choice, God made them "rich in faith and heirs of the kingdom". It is my prayer that churches reflect more of the heart of God in embracing the poor and homeless - and let me add that it first must begin with me. I don't want to reach people that are just like me or surround myself with those who have something to offer. I don't want to be the Christian or minister whose buddies are the wealthy, the influential, or the powerful. This is morally repugnant to me. Where are the ministers who spends their time with the poor, the homeless, the lame, the blind, etc.? Where are the churches that can find these people in their pews? I know they're out there. I guess where I find the smile of Jesus, I will find a picture of our heavenly home - and people not all like me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
Counter
Site Counters as of May 4, 2005