.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

prov·o·ca·tion - something that provokes, arouses, or stimulates. pant - to long eagerly; yearn. a collection of thoughts intended to provoke and inspire. these posts are hoping to encourage people to think, especially Christians, and pant even harder for the waterbrooks of the Lord. If you are not a believer in Christ Jesus, I welcome your perspective and encourage your investigation on these matters.

Sunday, July 16, 2006

Quick Hits :: July 16, 2006 :: Supersized Edition

* Mark Dever asks the question whether evangelists should question professions of faith. This is HUGE deal as I have seen evangelists try to convince Christians they are lost by pushing their emotional and psychological buttons but not providing and theological or biblical counsel. As one evangelist once told me, many of these evangelists are pulling up wheat while ignoring the tares. * A new blog definitely worth reading is that of Concerned SBCer. He has provided "the rest of the story" by providing the biblical data that somehow seems to go overlooked. * Jason Robertson has written a helpful article Antinominanism and has provided some good historical context within 17th century Puritanism. The idea of antinominianism is being thrown around these days, in particular with those of us who refuse to subscribe to resolution no. 5. * Justin Taylor recently provided some writing advice from C.S. Lewis and J.I. Packer. As I am writing more now than at any other time in my life, I need all the help I can get! One of the things I have learned in writing is to learn from those who write well and have a masterful touch to the English language. Lewis and Packer are no doubt excellent writers. * Mike Hess recently wrote a great article calling bloggers to honesty and accountability. I have bookmarked this post and printed it out to keep beside my computer to continually ask myself these questions - questions like, "Does blogging cause you to spend considerable amounts of time away from things that are a responsibility for you (e.g. Bible study, prayer, personal devotions, time with family and overall ministry)?" * Phil Johnson shares in detail his relationship with John MacArthur and the extensive writing process they undergo in the development, editing, and publishing of MacArthur's books. Amazing stuff. * Jim Hamilton recently wrote abot what he believes is the Greatest Danger Facing the Church . . . and it's not The Da Vinci Code. Hamilton has provided some great questions to ask regarding this great danger as well. * Wade Burleson asks the question whether blogging is a generational thing. Along these lines, Bowden McElroy has provided two posts (here and here) of "older" bloggers. * Marc Heinrich asks whether you listen to contemporary Christian music or not. Also, while you are there, you might want to check out Crossway's new ESV "T0-Do" Journaling Bible. I have an order in for my wife. * Marty Duren asks the question, "What do you think is the most misused or abused Scripture?" Very interesting to see the different perspectives of folks and how misused and abused certain scriptures are used. * Fellow SBF bloggers Gene Bridges and Nathan White have been addressing the issue of infant election. This is a difficult and touchy topic which inevitably gets brought up at some point in theological discussion. * Tim Challies has been blogging through one of my favorite devotional books and has written a great post called "The Tyranny of the Quiet Time." I think if we are all honest with ourselves, there have been times when we have felt guilty in keeping that "30 spot" with the Lord because of our attitudes and sense of obligation. * Josh Harris' message called "Humble Orthodoxy" is available for download at the New Attitude blog (which I am really enjoying BTW). Also, you can download Dr. Mohler's message "Cultural Discernment from a Biblical Worldview" as well. * The Church Report has determined the Top 50 most influential churches in the United States. JT mentions some encouraging ones such as Tim Keller (Redeemer Presbyterian: #16); Mark Driscoll (Mars HIll: #22); John MacArthur (Grace Community: #31); Harry Reeder (Briarwood Presbyterian: #35); Kent Hughes (College Church: #37); John Piper (Bethlehem Baptist: #42); and Tony Evans (Oak Cliff: #44). * Joe Carter @ EO provides a host of links of tips and suggestions for launching a successful blog. I wish I had known this stuff when I got started! * Speaking of blogging tips and advice, Amazon.com has a list of books dealing with blogging that might be of some interest to you. * Peter Lumpkin, better known as PeterFrank, has started a blog called SBC Tomorrow. You might know Peter from his comments on Founders' blog. Like many in the Greensboro effect, his first post was on none other than the alcohol resolution. My main motivation for putting this in on the quick hits is to direct you to his blogroll. This is interesting. Dr. Mohler next to the Calvinist Flyswatter next to Generous Orthodoxy think tank. Most of you know the deplorable antics of the Flyswatter, but consider Generous Orthodoxy. Keith DeRose, a contributor at GO, has been writing several posts for "biblical universalism" and quoting the likes of Thomas Talbott. So is "Charles the Brave", Bob Ross, and universalism the future of the SBC? You might think so according to his links. Yikes.

2 Comments:

Blogger Tony Kummer said...

Thanks for the links.

On the Top 50 churches. These are always interesting but I think influence is more a long term effect. I could see Dr. Piper's books being printed a hundred years from now and still changing lives. But maybe not so much for some of the other guys.

Not to mention all the kids coming out of BBC being seriously sold out for Christ and changing their worlds.

7/16/2006 03:03:00 PM

 
Blogger Timmy Brister said...

Yeah, I agree. I wonder what the criteria was for determining "influence."

Like BBC, what about Capitol Hill?

I guess there are some intangible realities that don't get included in making a decision as to what church has more influence.

I don't know if Dr. Harry Reeder has written a book or not, and since you are in B-ham, you would know their influence more than I, but what I do know is that Briarwood has an incredible influence on the mission field. I first found out about that when they were mentioned in the "all-star" mission churches book by Tom Telford. Oh, and BBC was in there as well.

Anyway, I agree totally Tony. My mentor and friend is from BBC as are many of my new friends (some whom I have met in the blogosphere). They are simply great people.

7/16/2006 04:59:00 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
Counter
Site Counters as of May 4, 2005