.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

prov·o·ca·tion - something that provokes, arouses, or stimulates. pant - to long eagerly; yearn. a collection of thoughts intended to provoke and inspire. these posts are hoping to encourage people to think, especially Christians, and pant even harder for the waterbrooks of the Lord. If you are not a believer in Christ Jesus, I welcome your perspective and encourage your investigation on these matters.

Tuesday, August 01, 2006

The Joy of Reading

Alright, I’ve been tagged. Thanks Nick for getting me out of my comfort zone! I must make a confession and say that I have never done one of these things before, so if it doesn’t look right, “My bad.” Oh well, here goes nothing . . .

(Oh and the rules are that you cannot use the Bible as an answer for any of the questions and only one book per question.)

1. One book that changed your life: The Life and Diary of David Brainerd by Jonathan Edwards (what devotion and passion this man had!)

2. One book that you’ve read more than once: Let the Nations Be Glad: The Supremacy of God in Missions by John Piper (deserves to be read at least twice)

3. One book you’d want on a desert island: John G. Paton: Missionary to the New Hebrides (dude was on an island of cannibals that wanted to kill him everyday; surely his words, witness, and life would encourage me while alone)

4. One book that made you laugh: What Love Is This? By Dave Hunt (I’m not joking either)

5. One book that made you cry: The Journals of Jim Elliot (not the kind of crying of sadness but realizing my apathy and indifference and being drawn to shameful brokenness)

6. One book that you wish you had written: The Death of Death in the Death of Christ by John Owen (no one does it like Owen) >>edit: One book that you wish had been written: (thanks Joe for the correction!) The High Cost of Denominational Politics

7. One book that you wish had never been written: The Purpose Driven Life by Rick Warren (hmm, I might ruffle some feathers with this one)

8. One book you’re currently reading: Above All Earthly Pow’rs by David Wells (started yesterday)

9. One book you've been meaning to read: The Great Work of the Gospel by John Ensor (thumbed through it, but haven’t really read it)

10. Now tag four people: Joe, Nathan, Marty, Steve

(Guys, don't be hatin' me because I tagged you. You know you want to do it - everyone else is . . .)

10 Comments:

Blogger Mike Hess said...

The thing about Dave Hunt was funny. Sadly there are many who actually pay respect to this guy.....sad, very sad. Nice list of books!

Mike

8/01/2006 12:44:00 PM

 
Blogger Jeff Richard Young said...

Dear Timmy,

Would you please elaborate on your view of TPDL? I have not read it, because I hate doing what everyone else is doing! But why do you wish it had not been written?

Love in Christ,

Jeff

8/02/2006 12:27:00 PM

 
Blogger Timmy Brister said...

Jeff,

Thanks for the comment. To attempt to justify why I wish TPDL book should never have been written would require much more than a superficial answer in the comment section of this post. Fortunately, many have already done this. One I would like to direct your attention to is my friend Tim Challies. He has written a review of the book along with a post for each day/chapter in the book. Below is the URL link to his compilation of his articles:

http://www.challies.com/archives/000121.php

Another great blog who has addressed the Purpose Driven craze is Slice of Laodicea. To view their posts, consider this link:

http://www.sliceoflaodicea.com/archives/purpose_driven_madness/

For a larger list of articles about PDL and the seeker movement, check out Monergism's list below:

http://www.monergism.com/thethreshold/articles/topic/seeker.html

If the interest warrants it, I may articulate my points in the future. I have issues with the man, the book, the gospel according to the TPDL, the misuse of Scripture, and the whole agenda altogether. Furthermore, the 40 Days of Purpose Program for churches is all the more troubling. I was a part of one that spent $10,000, bought into the whole "exponential thinking" yip, yip, yahoo biz, and six months later left empty handed.

This book is hurtful for the gospel, for the nature of God, and for the church - all essential to the Christian faith.

8/02/2006 01:31:00 PM

 
Blogger Andrew Lindsey said...

Timmy,

Do they have a category for "book that made you yell at it"? B/C if they do, then that's where I'd put "What Love is This."

Your brother in Christ,
-Andrew

8/02/2006 09:46:00 PM

 
Blogger Timmy Brister said...

Andrew,

I've got a feeling that book could fit in a number of categories, maybe the one with the most ellipses would be the best.

As I heard one leading evangelical say, "Text without context is pretext."

This book, by the way, was/is required reading in several SBC churches including mine several years back. The brother who read that book also read R.C. Spoul's Chosen by God and Willing to Believe with me (at the same time). Needless to say, that was an entertaining summer.

8/03/2006 05:15:00 AM

 
Blogger Andrew Lindsey said...

re: "What Love Is This?"

"most ellipses"-LOL, you noticed that too! Having graduated w/ a history degree for my undergrad, I just kept thinking, "Man, my teachers would so make me re-write any paper if I were to put this many hacked-up quotes in it."

"required reading"?!- that's cruel and unusual.

P.S.- Have you read/heard Phil Johnson's review of this book?

8/03/2006 10:18:00 PM

 
Blogger Timmy Brister said...

No, I did not know that Phil Johnson has reviewed the book. Is it available online?

Also, have you noticed that this book is not available anywhere, even after its second (and supposedly corrected) reprinting? It's a good thing I secured my copy when I did . . .

8/04/2006 07:22:00 AM

 
Blogger Joe said...

Good news brother! The Death of Death has finally been written! ;) Check the wording of #6.

Joe

8/05/2006 08:08:00 PM

 
Blogger Timmy Brister said...

Joe,

Thanks for cluing me in on the left out word (you). That's what I get from copying and pasting without proofreading! Correction made.

8/06/2006 01:34:00 PM

 
Blogger Timmy Brister said...

Alright, after checking around now for a third time, I realize that I still didn't answer question #6 like I was supposed to. Correction #2 on #6 made. Sorry for my bumbling.

8/06/2006 10:03:00 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
Counter
Site Counters as of May 4, 2005