.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

prov·o·ca·tion - something that provokes, arouses, or stimulates. pant - to long eagerly; yearn. a collection of thoughts intended to provoke and inspire. these posts are hoping to encourage people to think, especially Christians, and pant even harder for the waterbrooks of the Lord. If you are not a believer in Christ Jesus, I welcome your perspective and encourage your investigation on these matters.

Tuesday, February 21, 2006

More 50 (Or So) Great Christian Books

Two weeks ago, I posted a list of some of my favorite Christian books. In that post, I shared that I would provide another list (honorable mention) of more books that I truly appreciate. Some of these books, in hindsight, deserve to be on the other list, but be that as it may, I thought to leave it as it is and post these here. Also, please bear in mind that there are many other great books which are not on this list because I have not read them or been exposed to them (I am a very slow reader). Let me know what you think. Given the two lists, I have provided over 100 of my favorite books. Any that you have particularly enjoyed? Is there a book not on the lists which has greatly impacted your life and theology? Your input is greatly appreciated.

  1. God Revelation, and Authority (6 vol.) – Carl F.H. Henry
  2. Jonathan Edwards: A New Biography – Iain Murray
  3. Manual of Church Order – J.L. Dagg
  4. The Holiness of God – R.C. Sproul
  5. How Should We Then Live? – Francis Shaeffer
  6. The Pursuit of Holiness – Jerry Bridges
  7. Preaching and Preachers – Martyn Lloyd-Jones
  8. The Doctrine of God – John Frame
  9. No One Like Him – John Feinberg
  10. C.T. Studd – Norman Grubb
  11. Ashamed of the Gospel – John MacArthur
  12. The Sovereignty of God - A.W. Pink
  13. The Deliberate Church – Mark Dever
  14. The Forgotten Spurgeon – Iain Murray
  15. By His Grace and for His Glory – Tom Nettles
  16. Created in God’s Image – Athony Hoekema
  17. Five Pioneer Missionaries
  18. Praying Hyde: The Official Life
  19. The Challenge of Missions – Oswald J. Smith
  20. The Christian Life – Sinclair Ferguson
  21. Systematic Theology – Louis Berkhof
  22. The Uneasy Conscience of Modern Fundamentalism – Carl F.H. Henry
  23. Love Your God with All Your Mind – J.P. Moreland
  24. The Historical Reliability of the Gospels – Craig Blomberg
  25. Living by the Book – Howard Hendricks
  26. The Excellency of a Gracious Spirit – Jeremiah Burroughs
  27. Don’t Waste Your Life – John Piper
  28. With Christ in the School of Prayer – Andrew Murray
  29. Authentic Christianity – John Stott
  30. Prophetic Untimeliness – Os Guiness
  31. The Normal Christian Life – Watchman Nee
  32. Foxe’s Book of Martyrs
  33. Tell the Truth – Will Metzger
  34. Total Truth – Nancy Pearcey
  35. The Doctrine of Repentance – Thomas Watson
  36. Christianity and Liberalism – J. Greshem Machen
  37. Disciples Are Made—Not Born – Walter Hendrichsen
  38. Disciplines of a Godly Man – R. Kent Hughes
  39. Celebration of Discipline – Richard Foster
  40. The Complete Works of E.M. Bounds on Prayer
  41. God Is the Gospel – John Piper
  42. Grace Abounding – John Bunyan
  43. The Practice of the Presence of God – Brother Lawrence
  44. The Best of Francois Fenelon – Harold Chadwick
  45. My Utmost for His Highest – Oswald Chambers
  46. Repentance – Richard Owen Roberts
  47. The Scandal of the Evangelical Conscience – Ronald Sider
  48. The Word of God and the Mind of Man – Ronald Nash
  49. The Weight of Glory – C.S. Lewis
  50. Provocations – Soren Kierkegaard
  51. The New Evidence That Demands a Verdict – Josh McDowell
  52. Twelve Ordinary Men – John MacArthur
  53. The Lost Art of Disciple-Making – Leroy Eims
  54. Out of the Saltshaker and Into the World – Rebecca Pippert
There you have it. By the way, I have not updated my LibraryThing since I first signed onto it (back in December). I hope to do so in the near future. However, if you are interested in seeing what is on some of my shelves, you can check it out here.

1 Comments:

Blogger Sean Dietrich said...

I love Watchman Nee!
His stuff has impacted me in such a deep way, I don't think I even understand it. I have read most of his books and have been so encouraged by his personal walk with Jesus. He was something special.

I am a musician and WN has inspired many of my songs. I would be honored if you would check out my music on my site. All my music is free for download. Anyway, I just thought that I'd share.

Thanks,
-Sean
________________________
www.SeanDietrich.com
"All my music is free for download."

6/29/2006 11:42:00 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
Counter
Site Counters as of May 4, 2005