.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

prov·o·ca·tion - something that provokes, arouses, or stimulates. pant - to long eagerly; yearn. a collection of thoughts intended to provoke and inspire. these posts are hoping to encourage people to think, especially Christians, and pant even harder for the waterbrooks of the Lord. If you are not a believer in Christ Jesus, I welcome your perspective and encourage your investigation on these matters.

Sunday, June 11, 2006

Greensboro From a Distance

As bad as I would like to be in Greensboro, I could not make it this year. Actually, I could, but it was a choice that was made for me at the T4G Conference. Let me explain. Late last year I had already made plans for Greensboro. After having been with UPS for over a year, I had two weeks vacation to spend this year. Because I spent the first two weeks of this year in Ecuador, I had only one week left to spend. Up until the T4G Conference, that week was Greensboro. However, after hearing about and watching the trailer of the 2006 Desiring God National Conference, I simply could not pass it up. Soon thereafter I changed my plans to go the DG Conference and spend a week with my wife on a long road trip up north. Furthermore, the friends and bloggers I have met such as Tim Challies and Marc Heinrich (among others) will be there, and I look forward to seeing them again. I also have never been to BBC and want to get a first-hand look at the ministry being done there. So as much as I am concerned and committed to the SBC, this broke seminary student just couldn't scrounge up the nickels and hours to make it there. :( As a consolation, I decided tonight to keeping a running compilation of the posts of the SBC bloggers who will be live-blogging the convention. P&P hopefully could be your one stop source for all the major bloggers and their posts while at Greensboro. Also, I will have the links to Joe and Steve's photography (Steve already has some funny pics you must see). The post will be made tomorrow (when I see who is actually blogging) and then added to my compilation series on the sidebar to your right. Also, for those interested in catching Greensboro from a distance (like me), you can catch the video feed here.

3 Comments:

Blogger K. Elijah Layfield said...

Hey Tim, sorry you won't be able to make it the DG conference. I just wanted to invite you to come up to Bethlehem anytime you'd like. My wife and I have a spare bedroom. I'm not sure if you'll remember me, but I went to UM. I went by my firstname "Ken" at that time. Jon Hill and I stayed with you during one of the Alabama Baptist Conventions. I also used to be Shannon Mckenzie's roommate (after Woodie). Anyways, I'm up here in Minneapolis going to TBI. Drop me a line sometime. Btw, I enjoy your blog very much.

6/12/2006 12:31:00 AM

 
Blogger Timmy Brister said...

Mr. Layfield,

Actually, I will be making it to the DG Conference (Lord willing) this year. What I turned down was Greensboro.

I think I remember you Ken, but I don't want to be one of those guys who says "Hey man!" and really doesn't have a clue who you are (if they would be honest). I admit, it has been five years (I graduated in 2001), so the names and faces seem a little blurring for me. But if you are around Shannon and Woody, you are in good company. :)

As far as where we will be staying, I am not sure yet. Do you know Marc Heinrich? He and I spent a lot of time together at the T4G Conference and really enjoyed his company. If you haven't got to know him yet, he is definitely one guy who is fun to be around.

Another reason why I couldn't go this week is because I preached the past two Sunday's for my Greek prof. who, by the way was part of the original class at TBI. His name is Jason Meyer. I think some of the folks up there might still remember him. Anyway, I needed and wanted to fulfill that commitment to him, so needless to say Greensboro just didn't work out.

I will try to get in touch with you soon. I am currently trying to catch up after a grueling week last week. Thanks for checking in, and I hope to see you around!

6/12/2006 12:45:00 AM

 
Blogger K. Elijah Layfield said...

Well, although I misread the previous article, I'm very happy to hear that you're coming. Thanks for your honesty. I'm the worst at remembering people. I've found that honesty may not endear people to me, but it does free me from some sticky situations. Haven't met Marc yet, but I'm sure I will soon. Offer still stands on the room anytime. And one other piece of info, I didn't know if you knew that Yogi had a baby.

6/12/2006 02:05:00 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
Counter
Site Counters as of May 4, 2005