.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

prov·o·ca·tion - something that provokes, arouses, or stimulates. pant - to long eagerly; yearn. a collection of thoughts intended to provoke and inspire. these posts are hoping to encourage people to think, especially Christians, and pant even harder for the waterbrooks of the Lord. If you are not a believer in Christ Jesus, I welcome your perspective and encourage your investigation on these matters.

Thursday, August 03, 2006

When It Hits Home

Yesterday, Kerrie, my sister-in-law, underwent an eight hour surgery. About six weeks ago, she went to the doctor because she felt a lump on her breast. Soon thereafter, we received the dreadful words that she has breast cancer. Doctors shared with the family that the cancer was in the “pre-cancerous stage” (stage 0) and should be able to be removed without the cancer spreading. Because of this, they postponed the surgery while giving us assurance that the cancer was localized and in its infancy stage. However, after the surgery yesterday, we were told that the cancer had spread to her lymph nodes (stage 2) and will require chemotherapy for at least the next six months. Kerrie is but 31, the mother of two young children (6 yrs. and 1 ½ yrs.), and the wife to a loving and dedicated husband.

We hear bad news all the time through the media. It is almost as if that hurricane which is so fierce and destructive comes almost weekly, and the next tsunami or earthquake will inevitably fill tomorrow’s news. When we see the ruined and even lost lives, it is a far and distant reality. We don’t know their pain, loss, and suffering. In an ever-deepening jadedness, we watch and sometimes wonder what it is like for them. But when “them” becomes “us”, everything takes on a whole new meaning and reality.

This is the case for our family. We hear of the statistics of cancer, support the fundraisers and campaigns, and wear the pink ribbons, but nothing is like having it hit in your own home. Cancer is not new to our family, as my father-in-law has seen his two sisters already pass away due to cancer while his father is currently battling prostate cancer. Imagine being a father who, in the last ten years, buried his only siblings because of cancer and now watching his daughter face the same battle.

Needless to say, our family is going through some tough times. I love my family deeply and grieved that I cannot be there with them. After work Saturday morning, I plan on catching a flight to Birmingham (she is in UAB hospital) to be with them for the weekend. I know that we all know of people and families struggling with diseases and cancer, and to add another to your list may be more than I should ask. But if you do not mind, I am asking that you remember us in your prayers. This is the beginning of another long, hard fight for us. My sister-in-law’s name is Kerrie Wales and her husband’s name is Jeremy. They have two kids: Delaney and Jeremy. My wife, Dusti, is very close to her sister as well, so I give you their names to remember them specifically.

I am grateful for the way God has used other Christians in an exemplary and godly way to comfort, encourage, and strengthen others in the battle against cancer. Moreover, I believe this is a battle to not waste it. John Piper and Dr. David Powlison have written a powerful, heart-stirring piece called “Don’t Waste Your Cancer” which I will post in succession to this piece. It is so easy for us to focus on the cancer and not Jesus, and my prayer is that during this time, as in all times whether they be good or bad, Jesus will be glorified, his love manifested in one another, and the power of prayer will be experienced as the providential plan of God unfolds.

Thank you for remembering my family during this time. May the Lord steady our hearts and minds with a certain knowledge of his character, a confident hope in the promises in his Word, and a trust that treasures Jesus above all things, even cancer.

For more information and a general overview of breast cancer, go here. For the American Cancer Society’s page on breast cancer, go here.

5 Comments:

Blogger William E. Turner Jr. said...

Our prayers are with you and your family. When I read your story I of course read it through the lens of being a father and imagining going through that with my wife and kids so I will especially pray for Jeremy and ask the Lord that you will be an encouragement to him this weekend.

Psalm 9:10 And those who know your name put their trust in you, for you, O LORD, have not forsaken those who seek you.

8/03/2006 11:23:00 AM

 
Blogger Timmy Brister said...

Thanks for the comments and prayers. As I prayed with my wife last night, times like this provides an opportunity for the world around us to see the beauty and worth of Jesus Christ under the crucible of adversity. As we seek to "count it all joy," I am praying that He who is with in the valley of the shadow of death with be seen and treasured as we cling to Him, His promises, His providence, and His purposes.

Thank you William for that encouragement to minister to Jeremy. He is a wonderful and sweet husband to Kerrie, and I am sure this is unbelievably tough to see his bride undergo all this. I sincerely hope that I can "weep with those who weep" and express the love and comfort of Christ in a real and tangible way.

8/03/2006 04:14:00 PM

 
Blogger Tom said...

Timmy:

I have prayed for you and your family this morning. May you all know that comfort that comes only from God.

8/04/2006 09:29:00 AM

 
Blogger Timmy Brister said...

Tom,

Thank you. I am truly grateful for your prayers and ministry in my life.

8/04/2006 09:54:00 AM

 
Blogger broadstone said...

Timmy

We are praying.

kelly b

8/07/2006 09:11:00 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
Counter
Site Counters as of May 4, 2005